Current:Home > InvestOfficials plan to prevent non-flying public from accessing the Atlanta airport with new rules -Capitatum
Officials plan to prevent non-flying public from accessing the Atlanta airport with new rules
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 14:56:47
ATLANTA (AP) — Officials at the world’s busiest airport want to prevent the non-flying general public from accessing the terminal at all times, citing safety and security concerns at the Atlanta airport.
The Atlanta City Council transportation committee voted Wednesday to change the loitering ordinance for Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported.
The measure next goes to the full council for a final vote.
More than 100 million passengers traveled through the city-owned airport last year.
“We’re going to have 24/7 where we restrict access to the airport to ticketed passengers, those meeting or greeting passengers, those who are employed and those others having ability to do business at the airport,” Hartsfield-Jackson senior deputy general manager Michael Smith said.
Airport officials instituted a policy in 2018 of limiting access to the facility between 11 p.m. and 4:30 a.m. to prevent homeless people from sleeping in the domestic terminal. That policy was codified into law in 2021, and now officials want to expand the hours of restricted access to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The new restrictions are being sought as the airport deals with theft from baggage claim carousels and complaints about unauthorized drivers soliciting passengers.
veryGood! (94559)
Related
- Trump's 'stop
- North Carolina court rules landlord had no repair duty before explosion
- Are there any perfect brackets left in March Madness? Very few remain after Auburn loss
- Man pleads guilty to using sewer pipes to smuggle people between Mexico and U.S.
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- MLB investigating allegations involving Shohei Ohtani, interpreter Ippei Mizuhari
- Here's How Jamie Lee Curtis Reacted To Chef José Andrés' Kitchen Mishap While Filming For His New Show
- MLB launches investigation into Shohei Ohtani interpreter Ippei Mizuhara following gambling reports
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Vanessa Hudgens’ Clay Mask Works in Just 4 Minutes: Get it for 35% Off During the Amazon Big Spring Sale
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- MLB launches investigation into Shohei Ohtani interpreter Ippei Mizuhara following gambling reports
- House passes $1.2 trillion spending package hours before shutdown deadline, sending it to Senate
- 4 children, father killed in Jeannette, Pa house fire, mother, 2 other children rescued
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Why Kate Middleton Decided to Share Her Cancer Diagnosis
- Joana Vicente steps down as Sundance Institute CEO
- Polyamory is attracting more and more practitioners. Why? | The Excerpt
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
MLB investigating allegations involving Shohei Ohtani, interpreter Ippei Mizuhari
Megan Fox set the record straight on her cosmetic surgeries. More stars should do the same
West Virginia governor signs vague law allowing teachers to answer questions about origin of life
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
Hundreds of thousands of financial aid applications need to be fixed after latest calculation error
Teen pleads guilty in murder case that Minnesota’s attorney general took away from local prosecutor
Plan to recover holy grail of shipwrecks holding billions of dollars in treasure is approved over 3 centuries after ship sank
Tags
Like
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Plan to recover holy grail of shipwrecks holding billions of dollars in treasure is approved over 3 centuries after ship sank
- No. 13 seed Yale stuns SEC tournament champion Auburn in another March Madness upset